Type 1 Diabetes Information
Type 1 Diabetes
(T1D) or Type 1 diabetes is a disease of persons autoimmune system. In this article I will try to give you type 1 diabetes information so that you can be better informed. The disease happens when your pancreas stops producing insulin. Usually it works when your body gets and stores energy from food. What happens instead is your immune system goes to war with your body and it attacks the cells in the pancreas that produces insulin. These are called beta cells. Understanding the causes is still quite a mystery however experts are in strong belief that it is environmental and genetics that set of type 1 diabetes. When it comes to type 1 diabetes it is believed to have nothing to do with diet or lifestyle. When it comes right down to it there is nothing you can do to avoid type 1 diabetes. Also, once you have it there is no getting rid of it.
Both Kids and Adults Are Affected
Both children and adults can be afflicted with this disease. However, when it comes to type 1 diabetes it usually strikes children in early teens. Type 1 diabetes is also in instant dependency on insulin for life whether it be injected or pumped. Also, the scary part is living your entire life worrying about complications.
No Days Off
Living with type 1 diabetes is no easy task. You are forever working to maintain a healthy balance. The number one thing that has to be regulated is your insulin. This may be with a continuous pump or with daily injections. Also, something very important is what foods you put into your body and how much and what kind of activity you are involved in. One thing you will get tired of is pricking your fingers several times a day. However, this is a nescesarry step in order to check your blood sugars. Even though you are always checking and maintaining there are still always a high chance of your sugar levels getting away on you by either being too high or too low. The bad thing about this is that either high or low can be a very big threat to your life. That’s why type 1 diabetes information is so important because these are battles that type 1 diabetics battle with every single day.
Insulin Is A Treatment, Not A Cure
Type 1 diabetes patients are kept alive because of the insulin that is injected or pumped in to their bodies usually several times a day. What is very important to know and understand is that insulin is just a treatment and not a cure. Also, insulin does not prevent some serious side effects of type 1 diabetes. These can include blindness, kidney failure, amputation, strokes and heart attacks.
Never Give Up
By now you have figured out that type 1 diabetes is difficult to live with and can be very serious to live with. The thing is that every day strides are being made into improving your life while living with this. Technology and research never takes a day off. Every singe day baby steps are taken and small things are being achieved. Of course the ultimate goal is to find a cure. However, until that happens we need to be happy with the improvements that are being made.
- Over 3.5 million Americans and Canadians are living with type 1 diabetes today.
- Kids under the age of 14 are developing type 1 diabetes at an alarming rate of about 3 per cent increase per year around the world.
- The really sucky part is people with type 1 diabetes are expected to live 15 years less than those without diabetes.
What To Watch For
- In almost all cases there will be warning signs that you should be checked for type 1 diabetes.
- You will be very thirsty. When I say thirsty I mean that no matter how much you drink you will not be able to make your thirst go away.
- You will have to pee, and when I say pee I mean pee a lot. In many cases you will be going to the washroom every fifteen minutes. At night, you will be up from sleep every 45 minutes which gets very frustrating because you end up getting very little sleep.
- You are always feeling tired and loopy.
- You always want to eat. You had a good appetite before but now it seems you can’t stop eating.
- Without trying, you start to lose weight
- Little by little you realize your vision is doing wierd things
- You end up with sugars in your urine
- Sometimes you feel like you are having problems breathing
- Your breath ends up smelling fruity
- You actually lose consciousness
What Do You Feel About Having Type 1 Diabetes?
If you ask people what it’s like to have and live with type 1 diabetes they will tell you many things. It is scary, it’s a death sentence, it’s frustrating and they know it is likely never going to go away. However, with all the type 1 diabetes information out there patients with this disease can have some hope. It is a challenge that requires meeting some goals. So every time they meet a new goal it feels like they have extended their lives a little more.
If you have any questions or comments please feel free to leave them below.